Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Vaughn Taylor gets his first PGA Tour win since 2005. His career has not gone without obstacles, but a final round of 65 earned Taylor a victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am on Sunday. He played 234 PGA Tour events between his previous win and this one, which would be his third overall PGA Tour victory. Taylor was 4-under on the final six holes of the day to defeat a lingering Phil Mickelson. Mickelson finished one stroke back.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 15, 2016
2. Charl Schwartzel earns his second title of the season on European Tour. Schwartzel cruised to victory at the Tshwane Open in South Africa on Sunday. This was his eighth European Tour win on South African soil. Schwartzel began the day with just a one-stroke lead, but turned it on after a birdie on the second hole and wound up winning by an 8-stroke advantage.
3. Bernhard Langer wins his 26th PGA Champions Tour title. Fifty-eight year old German golf legend Bernhard Langer snagged his win this weekend at the Chubb Classic by three strokes finishing at 15-under par. He stayed one over par during most of the tournament until hitting birdie on the 11th to pull him ahead. Fred Couples finished second at 12-under par.
Links I Love:
- Alfonso Ribeiro and Justin Timberlake were crowd pleasers at Pebble Beach this weekend after performing the infamous Carlton Dance from the 90s hit TV show Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
- Bill Murray has become a familiar sideshow at Pebble Beach over the years. He intentionally causes chaos, stealing the show… and CBS airtime. He’s been known to throw a club or two, but this year, TMZ reported Murray was not in the mood and threw a fan’s cell phone over the edge after they had taken one too many photos of him.
— Mike McAllister (@PGATOUR_mikemc) February 10, 2016
- Dustin Johnson’s son Tatum was another show stealer at Pebble Beach this weekend. He marched his way onto the practice green and stole Jordan Spieth’s putter.
What to Watch For:
- The Northern Trust Open begins Thursday, February 18 from Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California.
- On the European Tour, The Maybank Championship Malaysia begins Thursday, February 18 from Royal Selangor Golf Course in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.