Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Farmers Insurance Open will finish on Monday due to inclement weather. Officials tried to miss the worst of the wind and rain by moving tee times up by 70 minutes, but the conditions were too rough for golfers to continue the final round. Brandt Snedeker will head into Monday just one stroke behind leader Jimmy Walker after a 3-under-par 69 round Sunday in the brutal weather. The tournament has also shut down public access to the Torrey Pines Monday due to safety concerns.
We’ll leave this to the pros 🙈 pic.twitter.com/Kl2kpBvokr
— Farmers Ins Open (@FarmersInsOpen) January 31, 2016
2. Branden Grace successfully defends his title at the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters. The South African golfer headed into the final round trailing by two shots but shot a 69 to pull ahead and win his seventh Tour title. Grace is currently ranked number 11 in the world and hopes that his win this weekend propels him into the top ten.
3. Ha Na Jang aces first hole-in-one on a par four in LPGA Tour history. Jang’s shot was on the 218 yard eighth hole at the Pure Silk Bahamas LPGA Classic. Jang finished tied for 11th at the tournament. Fellow South Korean Hyo Joo Kim ended up winning the tournament after finishing 18-under par. American Stacy Lewis finished two strokes back and tied for second place. You can watch Jang’s history-making hole-in-one here:
4. Jordan Spieth’s rally at Singapore Open delayed for weather. Lightning and rain were the culprit in Singapore on Sunday that put Spieth’s chances of tying the lead on hold. Spieth was on the 18th green looking to make a birdie that would’ve tied him with eventual winner Younghan Song when the whistle blew. Play resumed Monday morning local time with Spieth finishing as the runner-up.
Links I Love:
- If you’re heading to San Francisco this week for the Super Bowl, check out these 50 golf deals you can take advantage of in the Bay Area.
- Want to see just how bad the wind was at Torrey Pines on Sunday? Check out this video of Billy Horschel hitting a 5-iron 134 yards.
What to Watch For:
- The Waste Management Phoenix Open begins Thursday, February 4th from TPC Scottsdale in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- On the European Tour, The Omega Dubai Desert Classic begins Thursday, February 4th from Emirates Golf Course in the United Arab Emirates.