We’ve got bad weather up and down the East Coast this week. That means lots of gyms will be closed. If you can’t make it out running or to the gym, ol’ Scratch is here with bodyweight exercises! Bodyweight exercises are simple and effective movements that improve your balance, strength, and flexibility without relying on exercise equipment or machinery. With these great bodyweight exercises, you can tone anything from your legs to your shoulders to your chest and abs! These are my top 5 picks of the Greatist list of 50 Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do Anywhere. For the full list of 50, feel free to click here.
- 1. Inchworm: Stand up tall with the legs straight, and do like Lil’ Jon and let those fingertips hit the floor. Keeping the legs straight (but not locked!), slowly lower the torso toward the floor, and then walk the hands forward. Once in a push-up position, start taking tiny steps so the feet meet the hands. Continue bugging out for 4-6 reps.
2. Burpees: One of the most effective full-body exercises around, this one starts out in a low squat position with hands on the floor. Next, kick the feet back into a push-up position, complete one push-up, then immediately return the feet to the squat position. Leap up as high as possible before squatting and moving back into the push-up portion of the show.
3. Wall Sit: Who needs a chair when there’s a wall? Slowly slide your back down a wall until the thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure the knees are directly above the ankles and keep the back straight. Go for 60 seconds per set (or however long it takes to turn those legs to jelly). Need more fire? Add some bicep curls.
4. Triceps Dip: Get seated near a step or bench. Sit on the floor with knees slightly bent and grab the edge of the elevated surface and straighten the arms. Bend them to a 90-degree angle, and straighten again while the heels push towards the floor. For some extra fire, reach the right arm out while lifting the left leg.
5. L Seat: Take a load off (well not exactly). Seated with the legs extended and feet flexed, place the hands on the floor and slightly round the torso. Then, lift the hips off of the ground, hold for five seconds and release. Repeat!
While the my five favorite exercises from that rather extensive list are guaranteed to get your heart pumping and your muscles toning, let’s hear it from you, Rockheads! What are your favorite Bodyweight Exercises? As always, leave your tips, tricks, and suggestions in the comment section! And for those in Sandy’s path, stay safe!