A Quick Look at the Dell Technologies Championship – FedEx Cup
This week on the PGA Tour week 2 of the FedEx Cup Playoffs. The Dell Technologies Championship at TPC Boston in Norton, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. This is the second event of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, the event hosts the top 100 players on the FedEx Cup points system. The 2017 winner was Justin Thomas, he is returning to defend his title.
The Dell Technologies Championship History
The event replaced the Air Canada Championship in British Columbia. It debuted as the Deutsche Bank Championship in 2003. Dell Technologies took over as the title sponsor of the event in 2017. In 2017 the PGA Tour took over management of the event from the Tiger Woods Foundation. The event is unlike most PGA Tour events, it is played with the first round starting on Friday and concluding on Monday (Labor Day).
It was part of the original FedEx Cup playoffs in 2007, its prize purse was increased to $8.75 million in 2017, the winner’s share is $1.575 million. The event is limited to the top 100 players on the FedEx Cup points list. The points list is made up of points that they amassed during the regular season as well as the first FedEx Cup event, The Northern Trust.
TPC Boston History
TPC Boston is located in Norton, Massachusetts, approximately 25 miles outside of Boston. The property was originally designed by Arnold Palmer in 2003. They went through a redesign completed by, Gil Hanse with PGA Tour player Brad Faxon. The course is part of the Tournament Players Club network and managed by the PGA Tour. It annually hosts the Dell Technologies Championship during the Labor Day weekend.
- Friday – Golf Channel – 2:30 – 6:30 p.m
- Saturday – Golf Channel – 3:00 – 6:30 p.m
- Sunday – Golf Channel – 1:00 – 3:00 p.m – NBC – 3:00 – 6:00 p.m
- Monday – Golf Channel – 11:30 – 1:30 p.m – NBC – 1:30 – 6:00 p.m
Rock Bottom’s Top Round 1 Pairings
- 8:51 a.m. – Jordan Spieth, Xander Schauffele, Brandt Snedeker
- 9:03 a.m. – Bryson DeChambeau, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas (#10)
- 9:15 a.m. – Jon Rahm, Patton Kizzire, Kevin Na
- 9:15 a.m. – Bubba Watson, Jason Day, Webb Simpson (#10)
- 9:39 a.m. – Jhonattan Vegas, Kevin Chappell, James Hahn
- 1:28 p.m. – Tony Finau, Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose
- 1:40 p.m. – Phil Mickelson, Patrick Cantlay, Patrick Reed
- 1:40 p.m. – Paul Casey, Kyle Stanley, Tommy Fleetwood (#10)
Justin Thomas is on Team Titleist…What company do YOU play?