In honor of the anniversary of the first official LPGA tournament, (Jan 19, 1950), as well as today (January 25th) marking their first tournament of the calendar year, we decided to give a little shout out to the professional lady golfers out there! These women are amazing at what they do! So, here are our picks for the BEST EVER women golfers (in no particular order) and some of their greatest accomplishments!
Babe Didrikson Zaharias
- Babe once won 14 tournaments back to back- which is the record for the entire game of golf!
- When she played in the Los Angeles Open, she became the first female golfer to compete in an PGA Tour tournament!
- She won 4 Western Opens, 3 Titleholders Championships, and 3 U.S. Women’s Opens (major tournaments).
- Babe was also a founder of the Ladies Professional Golf Association.
- In 2001, Karrie (age 26 at the time) completed the Career Grand Slam and was the youngest person on the LPGA Tour to ever do so!
- She was named Rookie of the Year by both the LGPA and European Tours.
- Won 1 Women’s British Open, 1 LPGA Championship, 2 U.S. Women’s Opens, 2 Nabisco Championships and 1 du Maurier Classic (Majors).
- The Australian golfer became the first to complete a “Super Slam,” which includes each of the 5 women’s golf majors.
- Kathy won 3 LPGA Championships, 2 Titleholders Championships, and 1 Women’s Western Open.
- She Captained two Solheim Cup teams!
- Her career ended with 88 wins in 23 years.
- She was the first professional female golfer to earn a collective $1 million!
- Ben Hogan AND Byron Nelson each claimed that her swing was “the best (they) ever saw!”
- She won 82 tournaments in 14 years and was also the LPGA Tour President.
- Mickey set the record for the highest number of wins completed by one person in one LPGA season: 13!
- She won 4 LPGA Championships, 4 U.S. Women’s Opens, 2 Titleholder’s Championships, and 3 Women’s Western Opens!
- She’s won 3 U.S. Women’s Opens, 3 Nabisco Championships, 3 LPGA Championships, and 1 Women’s British Open (current majors)!
- She participated in 8 Solheim Cups and captained another.
- This Swedish golfer was named Rookie of the Year (1x), Player of the Year (8x), & European Player of the Year (2x).
- She was the second female golfer to play in a PGA Tour event. The only other player to do so was Babe Zaharias Didrikson, who played in the Los Angeles Open in 1945- nearly 60 years earlier!
- Besty was the runner up of the U.S. Women’s Open in 1950- which was just 5 years after she began playing golf!
- She did more than her fair share in furthering Women’s golf by holding several official positions: LPGA Secretary, a Tournament Director, Executive Director of McDonald’s LPGA Championship, and served as members of the USGA Rules Committee and the LPGA Tournament Sponsors Association.
- She won 4 U.S. Women’s Opens, 2 Women’s Western Opens, and 2 LPGA Championships!
- Rawls had a total of 55 wins by the time she retired.
These are our picks, do you agree or disagree? Who’d we leave out?