Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Jason Day gets the win at the 2016 Players Championship. Jason Day secures his seventh win in the last ten months at the Players Championship on Sunday. He led by at least two shots the entire final day of the tournament. Day remains at number one in the world and finished the weekend four strokes ahead of tour veteran, Kevin Chappell.
— Jason Day (@JDayGolf) May 15, 2016
2. The Players Championship didn’t go down without a little drama. Players let the officials know they were not happy about the conditions at TPC Sawgrass. Golfers complained the course was rough and dry – mixed with the strong winds and spotty weather proved to be the perfect storm. Officials commented that there was no way they could anticipate the weather and the course cannot be to blame for some players bad play.
3. Jeunghun Wang does it again on European Tour. Wang headed into the final day one shot behind the leader, but a mistake by Siddikur Rahman and a birdie from Wang earned the 20-year-old South Korean his second victory in seven days. The win made Wang the first Asian golfer to ever win back-to-back weeks.
4. Irish golf legend Christy O’Connor passed away this weekend at the age of 91. Over his life O’Connor won 24 European Tour events and played on ten Ryder Cup teams. He was also inducted to the Golf Hall of Fame.
Links I Love:
- In honor of this weekend’s Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass, Golf.com put together a list of the Best Island Greens in the game of golf.
- It wasn’t good luck for Ernie Els. Watch as Els reacts to getting an unexpected present from a bird flying over him. This coming right after he hit a bogey on his first hole at The Players.
Don’t know much about omens, but Ernie Els getting 💩 on by a bird after making bogey at 1 seems like a bad one.https://t.co/2hsKo45spQ
— SkratchTV (@skratchTV) May 15, 2016
- On-Core Golf introduces the first hollow golf ball. The idea behind the $30 golf ball is to allow the ball to travel on a straighter more direct path. Will you try it?
What to Watch For:
- The AT&T Byron Nelson begins Thursday, May 19th from TPC Four Seasons Resort in Irving, Texas.
- On the European Tour, the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Hosted by the Rory Foundation begins Thursday, May 19th from Straffan, Co. Kildare, Ireland.