Hey Rock Heads!
I thought with 2008 coming to a close I’d take a look back on Golf Digest’s top 10 ranked courses for the 2008 season. I know I’m always on the lookout for sweet courses when I’m travelin’ around.
1) Pine Valley G.C. (Pine Valley, NJ)
2) Shinnecock Hills G.C. (Southampton, NY)
3) Augusta National G.C. (Augusta, GA)
4) Cypress Point Club (Pebble Beach, CA)
5) Oakmont C.C. (Oakmont, PA)
6) Pebble Beach G. Links (Pebble Beach, CA)
7) Merion G.C. East (Ardmore, PA)
8) Winged Foot, G.C. West (Mamaroneck, NY)
9) Seminole G.C. (Juno Beach, FL)
10) Crystal Downs C.C. (Frankfort, MI)
Sure is a pretty list to look at. And if you’re anything like this Caveman, you’ve swung a club on exactly ZERO of these courses. So let’s get a real list going. Let me and your fellow Rock Heads know what local courses you love to play on. Or the courses you may not like so much. That way if we’re ever in the area we know where to look (or stay away from!) And to get it started, here’s a few local shout outs from my neck of the woods:
Sleepy Hole (Suffolk, VA) – Only way to describe this course is SEXY! Beautiful layout.
Honey Bee (Virginia Beach, VA) – Great looking course at a great looking price! Watch out for the water though. I’ve sent a ball or two to sleep with the fishes.
Deer Run (Newport News, VA) – The name is for real! I was within a few feet from a deer or two throughout this 18 hole journey. Almost too friendly for me. Oh yeah, and the course and crew are great as well!