Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Hideki Matsuyama outlasted Rickie Fowler in playoff to win in Phoenix. The day started with Danny Lee in control, but it soon looked like Fowler was going to win it all. With a two-stroke lead, Fowler hit the water hazard on the 17th hole and Matsuyama took full advantage of it. Matsuyama easily won with a two-putt par on the fourth playoff hole. This was his third straight top-five finish at the Waste Management Phoenix Open tournament and his second career victory.
— Golf Channel (@GolfChannel) February 8, 2016
2. Brandt Snedeker wins Farmers Insurance Open after weather delay last weekend. Brutal weather last Sunday forced the fourth tournament of the calendar year to finish up on Monday. Snedeker was trailing by one stroke heading into the final round. He didn’t have to hit a single shot Monday as he waited and watched Jimmy Walker finish up eight holes without fans on the sidelines -tournament officials had declared the course too unsafe for spectators. Ultimately, Snedeker’s 6-under held strong for the victory.
Well, this is way worse than playing.. Don’t know how players families do this.. — Brandt Snedeker (@BrandtSnedeker) February 1, 2016
3. Danny Willett wins it all in Dubai. Willett needed a birdie on the final hole to avoid a playoff. He holed a 15-foot birdie to secure the Omega Dubai Desert Classic trophy. With the win, Willett will move within the top 15 in world rankings. This was his fourth victory on the European Tour.
4. Attendance at Phoenix Open surpasses 200,000 for first time ever. It’s long been rumored that golf attendance has been falling at tournaments across the country. Fans in Phoenix proved critics wrong after a record-setting day on Saturday. The previous record stood at 189,722 – this from the third round in 2014. On Saturday, 201,003 people attended the event at TPC Scottsdale. Friday’s turnout set a record for that day as well with 160,415.
Links I Love:
- In honor of the Super Bowl, here are Illegal Motions: NFL Penalties for Golfers.
- Matt Every was in a tough spot on the second hole in Saturday’s third round of the Phoenix Open. He somehow managed to hole out from some crazy brush and made eagle.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 6, 2016
- Bubba Watson endured heckling and boo-ing from fans after tore apart The Phoenix Open, stating he was only there for his sponsors. He later issued an apology, saying he used words he shouldn’t have and that he loves the tournament.
What to Watch For:
- The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am begins Thursday, February 11 from Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, California.
- On the European Tour, the Tshwane Open begins Thursday, February 11 from Pretoria Country Club in Waterkloof, South Africa.