Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Troy Merritt earns first PGA Tour win at Quicken Loans National. After missing five straight cuts leading up to this weekend, Merritt claimed his first PGA victory with a three shot lead over Rickie Fowler, who finished in second place. Merritt is the 10th first-time winner on the Tour this year. He scored an event record with an 10-under-par 61, which happened to be his second 61 score of the year (his first coming on the second round Heritage at Harbour Town Golf Links in April). Bill Haas looked to be a frontrunner alongside Merritt for most of Sunday after scoring six birdies in the first 10 holes. However, Haas bogeyed and double-bogeyed four times in the final seven, finishing tied for fourth.
2. Tiger Woods shows flashes of “Old Tiger”. After several disappointing appearances, Tiger showed up for the Quicken Loans National and shot three rounds in the 60s. On Saturday, Woods missed the fairway six times, but he bounced back Sunday, posting a 68 on the day, and finished in the top 8 of the tournament. Even on Saturday – his worst round of the weekend – he had flashes of greatness, including the shot in the video below.
3. Inbee Park wins 4th major title at Women’s British Open. The top-ranked women’s golfer in the world earned an impressive victory in Scotland finishing with a 12-under 276. The LPGA Tour is calling Park’s achievement a Career Grand Slam, having won four different majors. Since the beginning of 2013, Park has won six majors — no other woman has won more than one in that time span.
— LPGA (@LPGA) August 2, 2015
Links I Love:
- British Open champ, Zach Johnson, is getting plenty of use out of the Claret Jug.
As an Iowan, this Jug has multi-purposes… pic.twitter.com/dROnlb3uwZ
— Zach Johnson (@ZachJohnsonPGA) August 2, 2015
- If you’ve been following this story, the father of professional golfer Billy Hurley has been found safe and sound after his family reported him missing nearly two weeks ago. Read the story on Golf.com.
- A Coast Guard helicopter was able to make an emergency landing on a golf course on Staten Island. Check out the story from NBC New York.
What to Watch For:
- The Barracuda Championship begins Thursday from Montreux G&CC in Reno, Nevada.
- The World Golf Championships – Bridgestone Invitational begins Thursday from Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio.