Tom Watson has 5 British Open wins under his belt, and two years ago this chap set the golfin’ world aflame when he came within a grass blades width of winning his 6th Open Championship at age 60! Unfortunately he lost to Steward Cink in the 3-hole playoff, but this year, he has set off to do it again. Think he has it in him to grab a that 6th?
Check out the final round of the 2009 British Open:
The British Open has begun and here is how the first round played out:
Denmark’s Thomas Bjorn Started off with a one stroke lead after shooting a 5 under 65 in the opening round.
Rory McIlroy, who usually starts off strong, struggled with a 1 over beginning round trailing Bjorn by 6 strokes. He did, however, set 12 records at the US Open Last month.
Dustin Johnson aced the par-3 16th hole in the first round, but after starting horribly, and rocking a 4 stroke deficit by the 14th tee, he was able to break even with 70 by the rounds end.
Phil Mickelson, is another big name at the Open Championship. But records show that in the 17 British opens that Mickelson has competed in, he has only had one top-10 finish.
Other top picks include:
• Lee Westwood — Amazingly consistent at being there or thereabouts on Sunday at majors.
• Luke Donald — World’s No. 1 player is calm, collected and has a fabulous short game.
• Retief Goosen — Getting his game back, and is the only top-10 finisher from 2003 here still a factor.
• Sergio Garcia — OK, he’s the one who doesn’t fit the profile. Just a hunch he’s on his way back up.
• Nick Watney — Looks like he has the chops to deal with links golf, and he’s on a roll.
• Justin Leonard — 1997 champ’s a good Open player, wind not a problem for him, good short game.
• Ernie Els — Seems to have forgotten how to close the deal in big ones, but he might remember.
• Jason Day — Not sure how he’ll handle this course, but he’s been runner-up at both majors this year.
• K.J. Choi — Good player on tough courses. Unflappable, which you have to be here.
So who’s it going to be Rock Heads? Who are you rooting for at this years Open Championship?