Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Smylie Kaufman becomes second-straight rookie to win on the PGA Tour. A week after rookie Emiliano Grillo won the Frys.com Open, Kaufman took the prize at the Shriners Hospital for Children Open. Kaufman finished at 16-under early on Sunday, causing him to wait nearly two hours to see if anyone would catch him. But no one did. A six-way tie for second included two more rookies, causing lots of chatter about the 2015-16 season.
— Smylie Kaufman (@SmylieKaufman10) October 26, 2015
2. Lydia Ko is back on top after winning her 10th LPGA title. At just 18 years old, Ko regains her number one ranking after winning the LPGA Taiwan Championship on Sunday. Ko took the top spot from Inbee Park after she finished 7-under-65 in her fifth win of the season. The two have been swapping back and forth for the number one ranking the entire season.
A photo posted by Lydia Ko (@lydsko) on
3. Justin Rose wins his eighth European Tour title at Hong Kong Open. Rose finished 17-under par after going into the final round tied with Denmark’s Lucas Bjerregaard. Rose and Bjerregaard battled back and forth for the lead all day, first with Rose making a birdie, then Bjerregaard making two. In the end, Rose earned the win with Bjerregaard finishing at 16-under.
4. China’s Communist Party has banned its members from playing golf. Because golf courses are seen in China as a place where “shady deals” are made, the Communist Party has banned all 88 million members from joining golf clubs. Over the years, China has banned the building of new golf courses, but hasn’t always enforced the law. They have since shut down numerous illegally built golf courses. Just last month, dozens of state employees were punished for spending funds at the golf course.
Links I Love:
- Did you know, Rory McIlroy almost came to the United States to play collegiate golf? Find out where in this Golf.com article.
- Just in time for Halloween, see photos of the scariest golf courses in the world.
- Oops! He’s gonna feel this one tomorrow. At the Sunshine Tour’s Voldacom Origins this weekend, South African golfer Jacques Kruyswijk bounces the ball of a tree, and it hits him right in the groin.
— Sunshine Tour (@Sunshine_Tour) October 22, 2015