Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Adam Scott beats out Sergio Garcia for first Tour win since 2014. After a lot of talk over Scott’s putter use – he typically uses a longer one – he proved critics wrong after earning his first victory with a short putter since 2010. Scott switched clubs after the anchoring rule changed last month. He finished the weekend at the Honda Classic at 9-under, defeating Garcia by just one stroke. With the win, Scott moved up to No. 9 in the world rankings, the highest he’s been ranked in 10 months.
Trophy presentation! pic.twitter.com/FrOq0AK9rX
— The Honda Classic (@TheHondaClassic) February 28, 2016
2. Ranked No. 21 in the world, Louis Oosthuizen earns his eighth victory on the European Tour. Oosthuizen’s win at ISPS HANDA Perth International came after finishing 16-under, one stroke ahead of Frenchman Alexander Levy. The South African led overnight with a three-stroke lead, but bogeyed on the second hole. Oosthuizen would pull ahead for good later in the round. With the win, South African golfers have won six of the past 11 events on the European Tour this season.
3. Lexi Thompson becomes first American woman to win in Thailand. Thompson claimed the title at The Honda LPGA Thailand finishing at 20-under par, a six-stroke victory over runner-up, In Gee Chun. This was Thompson’s seventh LPGA Tour victory. With the win, Thompson is expected to jump ahead of Stacy Lewis and become the top-ranked American in the world.
Links I Love:
- Tiger Woods showed off his swing in a video he tweeted out earlier this week. Golf.com put together the best reactions to what is now being called “Tiger’s Swing Video.”
Progressing nicely. pic.twitter.com/HKnnluR1OW
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) February 24, 2016
- The reigning NBA MVP, Steph Curry, got out to play a round at Augusta National this week. He wouldn’t give out his final score, but he did admit to hitting a birdie on the very first hole.
- The guys at Dude Perfect challenged some of the golfers on the European Tour to a different type of golfing. In this “All Sports Battle”, golfers are challenged to play a round of golf with all different types of sports equipment – that is everything besides actual golf clubs.
What to Watch For:
- The World Golf Championships – Cadillac Championship begins Thursday, March 3 from Trump National Doral in Miami, Florida.