Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Play will resume Monday morning at OHL Classic at Mayakoba after rain causes delay in final round. Russell Knox and Graeme McDowell are tied for first with a score of 19-under as play is on hold in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. McDowell had just finished the 13th hole while Knox will resume play on the 13th hole when play resumes. Both golfers have six birdies at this point in the round. Knox is coming off his first PGA Tour win last week in Shanghai, another tournament that was delayed and finished on a Monday. This is the first time in 10 years that back-to-back tournaments have had to finish play on a Monday due to weather.
2. Kristoffer Broberg defeats American Patrick Reed in playoff at BMW Masters. In a dramatic tournament finish in which five different players briefly share the lead on the back nine, Reed and Broberg were tied at 17-under after the final round. The Swedish golfer’s first European Tour victory came after a birdie on the first playoff hole.
— Sky Sports Golf (@SkySportsGolf) November 15, 2015
3. Inbee Park just keeps winning, this time in Mexico City. Park’s fifth LPGA Tour victory this season came Sunday at the Lorena Ochoa Invitational. Park is the second-ranked woman in the world having now won 17 titles. Her win Sunday came after a bogey-free final round, holding off Carlota Ciganda by a three-stroke victory.
4. Jordan Spieth named a Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year finalist. Spieth was named a finalist amongst 11 other athletes and sports personalities. “The 22-year-old Spieth had his coming-out party in 2015, becoming the second youngest golfer to win the Masters and youngest to win the U.S. Open,” SI senior editor Richard Deitsch wrote. If he were to win, Spieth would be the first golfer to hold the title since Tiger Woods in 2000.
Links I Love:
- Jason Day and wife Ellie welcomed a baby girl on November 12. This is the couple’s second child. Congrats!
- Rory McIlroy gave away his driver to a fan on Facebook. Check out the exchange below:
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) November 4, 2015
What to Watch For:
- The RSM Classic begins Thursday from Sea Island Resort in Sea Island, Georgia.
- On the European Tour, The DB World Tour Championship begins Thursday from Jumeirah Golf Estates in Dubai.