Sniff’s Weekly Roundup
I’ve collected the top news and trending topics in the golf world so you can catch up on what you need to know! I’ve included some of the top stories as well as some of the most interesting stories and links from all around the internet! Enjoy! -Sniff
Here’s What’s Happened:
1. Rory McIlroy wins Match Play Championship. The world No. 1 ranked golfer dominated the new round-robin format at the tournament winning all seven matches in five days. McIlroy had not won in the United States since last year’s PGA Championship and his first victory since the Omega Dubai Classic on the European Tour in February. McIlroy turns 26 on Monday.
What did you do on your last day as a 25 year old? pic.twitter.com/0zDH1Kcpyt
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) May 3, 2015
2. Your weekly pop culture update: Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn announce their breakup. Maybe you care, and maybe you don’t, but if I didn’t mention the breakup of this athletic super-couple, you’d hear it elsewhere. Woods and Vonn — an Olympic skier– have been dating for nearly three years. The two announced their split on Facebook citing busy schedules.
3. Inbee Park wins again at North Texas Shootout. The No. 2 ranked woman in the world has won the tournament twice now in three years. Lydia Ko, the No. 1 ranked female, will hold her top spot despite finished 41st. Ko also announced that her winnings from this weekend will be donated to the Nepal earthquake relief.
4. The golf community mourns two pioneers of the sport. Calvin Peete and Pete Brown, African-American golfers, both won several events on the PGA Tour in a time when the game, and country, was still segregated. Brown started his golfing career as a caddy, and despite being struck with polio, earned a PGA Tour card to have a successful career. Peete became the first African-American to win the Players Championship.
5. Tiger will have a busy summer. He tweeted last week that he will be playing five tournaments in the coming months.
See you at the US Open, Open Champ, Memorial, Greenbrier and my Foundation’s event, the Quicken Loans National. Going to be a busy summer.
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) April 29, 2015